I’ve got a delicious protein-rich lunch idea that you’ll actually look forward to eating!
Who doesn’t love burritos? This recipe is better than takeout AND will save you $$$.
PLUS … you can modify it based on your food preferences. The base recipe is vegan but you can add cheese for vegetarian, or even chicken or ground beef if you eat meat.
Make up a few ahead of time for grab-and-go lunches – just reheat them before it’s time to eat!
Black Bean and Hummus Burrito Wraps
(Makes 4 burrito wraps)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
½ tsp each of cumin, garlic powder, and salt
2 large red bell peppers
8 oz. (225 g) sliced mushrooms
1 can of corn
8 oz (225 g) your favorite hummus
4 large wraps or tortillas
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
4 handfuls washed fresh spinach
Optional: Goat cheese, crumbled
Optional: 8 oz (225 g) cooked shredded chicken breast or ground beef
Optional: guacamole and/or salsa for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425ºF/220ºC. Place parchment paper on a baking sheet and set aside.
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a saucepan and saute the onion until it softens and becomes translucent. Stir in the seasonings and cook for 1-2 minutes before adding the bell pepper. Saute until it begins to soften, and then add the mushrooms and corn.
- Continue to cook until the mushrooms begin to soften.
- Meanwhile, lay out wraps and spread a layer of hummus over them. Add the sautéed vegetables, black beans, and fresh spinach, along with any of the optional ingredients you want to use, and roll into a burrito.
- Place burritos on a baking sheet (seam side down), and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Serve immediately topped with guacamole and salsa. Store leftovers in the fridge, covered, and reheat before serving.
- Don’t those sound delicious – and super easy? Grab-and-go lunches make life so much easier!